Client: Burro, Seattle, WA and Koforidua, Ghana
Burro is an inspiring startup with a unique, complex story that wasn’t being told effectively on its website. There was plenty of content, but it was dense and difficult to read online. The company’s founder undertook a major site redesign to present Burro in a more compelling way, and engaged Secret Sauce Creative to lead the content strategy. The budget was small, so we needed every word to do more, just like Burro’s innovative, hard-working products.
Secret Sauce Contributions:
- Performed detailed audit of existing site content to determine what was usable, what changes would be needed, and what was missing.
- Collaborated with founder and site designer on inspiration, overall strategy, user experience, and site design.
- Created clear, detailed voice/tone guidelines to establish brand voice and inspire all brand copy.
- Created detailed site outline with specific copy requirements and direction for each page.
- Developed plan to establish and maintain company blog, including overall inspiration, post types, media, and suggested post topics.
- Extended brand storytelling approach to social media channels, providing training and inspiration and crafting overall strategy for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
- The “on-the-ground” story of Burro is now unfolding authentically across channels through evocative stories and imagery.
- The Burro team has been able to establish and maintain a high-quality blog and social media presence without outsourcing.
- The Burro Facebook community—small and growing organically—is highly engaged, with some posts achieving virality (response/share rates) of more than 20%.
- Site copy readability has increased by 65%.
Do you need your content to do more? Please get in touch!
Client: Wonder Forge, Seattle, WA
Establish a vibrant social media presence for an independent board game company, starting from zero fans/followers and minimal brand awareness. Develop brand voice, amplify existing marketing efforts, and cultivate relationships with partners and influencers — all in less than an hour a day.
Secret Sauce Contributions (Ongoing):
- Collaborating with team to clarify objectives, crafting social media strategy, and drafting sample posts to ensure alignment.
- Creating and maintaining Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube profiles.
- Building a comprehensive, integrated editorial calendar; writing and publishing all posts to creatively build an authentic, inspired brand presence.
- Setting up an integrated dashboard to track and respond to all brand and product mentions as well as content from key partners, bloggers, and industry influencers.
- Integrating tightly with PR outreach and partner social media efforts, including Twitter parties, Facebook giveaways, and trade shows.
- Building an organic, low-budget brand ambassador program to identify and reward the company’s most enthusiastic and consistent fans.
- Identifying new influencers and bloggers for outreach.
- Creating processes to capture and make use of valuable fan insights, and ensuring they are fully integrated into all areas of the business.
- Providing thought leadership on best practices for word-of-mouth marketing and emerging social media platforms.
- After two years and zero incremental spend, Wonder Forge has a relatively small but highly engaged, passionate, and supportive social media community (2,400+ on Facebook; 1,700+ on Twitter).
- 100% response rate to fan comments, posts, and tweets.
- “People Talking About This” Facebook measurement often eclipses those of pages with communities that are 10 or even 20 times larger.
- Brand sentiment remains consistently 100% positive, with frequent “love” mentions.
- It is possible to cultivate a highly engaged, enthusiastic community with a very small investment (of both dollars and time).
- Responding to fans consistently and positively goes a long way toward building brand loyalty.
- Paying close attention to what’s going on with influencers, key partners, and bloggers reveals priceless insights and new opportunities.
If you would like to talk more about cultivating social media community without a big budget, please get in touch.
Client: Empowered Careers (formerly Encore Career Institute), Los Gatos, CA
Establish a clear strategic foundation to guide brand development for a rapidly growing tech startup focused on continuing education. Create focused tools to get a complex web of employees, partners, and stakeholders on the same page and unlock visual and content expression.
Secret Sauce Contributions:
- Explored and reconciled competing visions for the brand through a brand archetype study. Rallied team (including high-profile founder Steve Poizner) around the “Hero” archetype.
- Evaluated and synthesized competitive landscape to inform brand position.
- Created 40-page brand bible to articulate brand fundamentals and inspire cohesive expression. Contents included archetype summary, competitive analysis, high-impact quotes to capture consumer insights, brand values, mission/vision/position, and brand pyramid.
- Developed brand personality guidelines, including voice & tone guidelines, brand vocabulary, and high-level messaging framework.
“Online learning is by nature solitary & lacking in personal support — these are big drawbacks to an otherwise very successful program.” Student quote selected for inclusion in brand bible
- Team began using “Hero” language to determine brand approach and evaluate brand identity concepts.
- Copywriter tackled content creation for dozens of site pages with a clear creative starting point.
“I especially find the “Who Are Our Bad Guys?” section to be very empowering. It inspires me to do my job and fight for what’s right in online education.” Empowered Careers copywriter
- Hearing a brand’s story and vision directly from the founder is a consistently effective tool for bringing a brand into focus.
- Taking the time to articulate high-level brand guidelines can go a long way toward minimizing creative churn, especially for a startup.
If your brand would benefit from some foundational documents to guide creative execution, please contact us.